Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Friday 24 October 2014 Around the Jerusalem Center



 I've been thinking just how much I love it here.  I've gone through the day taking pictures of my life here in hopes that I'll always remember it in detail.  I'm afraid I'll go home and it will all seem like a dream.  This is the view from our apartment.
Our front door- apt. 206
Our living room
This is the hallway to our apartment on the second floor.  We are the only ones living on the second floor.  The laundry is down the hall so we sometimes hear the students, but it's generally pretty quiet.
This is the hallway that leads to the laundry room.
Most of the student apartments entrances are in a courtyard.
This is the laundry room that doubles as a bomb shelter.  We were in here 4x's this summer with air raid sirens.  We'd only stay a few minutes until the threat of a rocket was over. 
The washers are on one side of the room and the dryers on the other.  I love doing 3-4 loads of laundry at the same time and being done in less than 1 hour.
Our bed
 
This is our bedroom with an open closet.  I can lay in the bed and decide what I am going to wear.
Our spacious entry hall
Bathroom

Front desk on the 8th floor where I wait for tours.

The view from my desk looking towards the auditorium
The auditorium where we have concerts, organ recitals during the tours, and church meetings
The front entry of the Jerusalem Center
From the hallway looking out towards the patio
Top of the stairs on the 8th level
Blaine in his office which we now share
Top of the stairs where we explain the mosaic.   It was found near Jaffa Gate while they were building the Mamila Mall.  It's from the Byzantine period and is on loan from the Israeli Antiquity Authority.


Mosaics on 7th floor were uncovered near Beer Sheeva.  There is at least one animal in each picture.

Workroom of the library
Going down the stairs

Where the students eat- the Oasis
There isn't an elevator below the 5th floor so I climb 53 stairs each morning to get to an elevator.

That evening there were protests on the road at the back entrance.  Fires, tear gas, rocks thrown, IDF chasing Palestinian youth, explosions, and gun fire all took place.
Israeli police on the road below the Jerusalem Center

1 comment:

  1. You will be so glad that you took those pictures because it does seem like a dream when you return home. I loved going on this little tour again and it made me truly homesick for the Jerusalem Center -- even with riots on the street below.

    ReplyDelete